Friday 28 February 2014

Settling in

So since I last blogged things have got a lot lot better and I am finally starting to warm to Madrid again. 
Very much appreciated English treats from Sarah!
I have now done two weeks working as a language assistant - I was super lucky to get on the programme half way through the year due to someone dropping out. After a few days on the job I was definitely craving my comparatively relaxing office job, but have now come round to the idea and I see it as an opportunity to gain a completely different skill set. I have been given two schools; one in the north west of the city and one in the south east! A slight logistical nightmare but it is doable and am looking at the commute as an opportunity to read lots of novels that I have been meaning to get round to for ages. 

The two schools couldn't really be more different. The first is in the north of the city, which on the whole tends to be better off than the south. It's very small, I am the only language assistant and although it's not by any means an academic hothouse, it seems a happy place and the children, in general, are well behaved!

The school in the south is a different story (maybe it is why the girl before me dropped out?!)... It is situated in an area called Vallecas, the neighbourhood with the lowest average income in Madrid and since the credit crunch unemployment has soared. Many of the kids come from broken homes and have all sorts of behavioural problems. There are also a large number of gypsy children, often who are practically illiterate and only attend school as it is the condition for their parents to receive benefits. There is an armed guard at the gate, the school is so covered with graffiti that you can't even see out of the windows and during my first class a boy lobbed a pencil at me!! The school is tough and, without wanting to sound dramatic, I find it quite emotionally draining. The teaching I have witnessed in the school is some of the worst I have ever seen, it seems like most of the teachers have completely given up which is so sad for the children that do want to learn. It's going to be a challenge but I am determined to show them that learning english can be fun if taught well! It's going to be a long 5 months I feel!

Apart from the job situation nothing has really changed here... I went to my best school friend, Rozzy's, 21st birthday last weekend which was so much fun. I have finally signed up to a gym which has definitely cheered me up, I'm looking forward to my first spin class in this amazing room with 300 bikes. Also still enjoying running club, last night we all went in carnival themed fancy dress which was fun, if not the most comfortable experience! Am also going to attempt a 10k this weekend in preparation for the race in April which I signed up for in a moment of craziness. 
The spin room at the gym
Apart from that not much else to report really, think I am going to start to do some blogs on specific topics as my life is pretty uninteresting here and I feel doesn't make great blogging material! 

Better head off to my Spanish class, have a great weekend, Helena x
The 21st birthday girl, Rozzy!!
Meticulous creation of the all important gin and tonics by DJ Jaime!

1 comment:

  1. I have also been reading a stack of novels on the train! Love!
    Good luck with your schools - sounds like a challenge.

    ReplyDelete