Friday 23 August 2013

1 month down...

I can't really believe that it was a month today that I arrived in São Paulo, time has gone SO fast. I can honestly say that it has been the most amazing month. 

I was very prepared when I left that it was going to be tough and that it would take time to adapt. I am all too aware that very big cities can be lonely places and I thought I would feel a definite sense of culture shock. However, I haven't once had a moment when I've wanted to be at home and haven't really missed anything to be honest (well except Cadbury's maybe!). This has got to be down to the people I've met that have made it so easy to settle in; from my lovely Brazilian flatmates, the office that already feels like family, to the guy that hands me a free paper on my walk to work, I have been stunned with the kindness I have experienced.

To be honest it still hasn't really sunk in that this counts as part of my degree, it still feels like I'm on holiday, especially when this is the view I wake up and go to sleep to every morning and night!

Thank you so much to everyone I have met so far for making my first month so much fun and bring on the next four!!

Here are a few things about Brazil that have surprised me during my first month, nothing very deep I'm afraid!

1. Brazilians are very concerned with dental hygiene! It is totally normal to bring your toothbrush and toothpaste to work. After we come back from lunch we all go to the bathroom to brush our teeth together. I think it's a very sociable habit and something that the UK should adopt!

2. The bureaucracy is AWFUL. Even worst than I imagined. However, like everything else, you get used to it and after a while queuing for 15 minutes to pay in the supermarket or having to commit identity fraud in order to sign up for the gym just becomes normal!

3. Brazilians must be the most hospitable people in the world. Never have I been made to feel so welcome by complete strangers. I keep thinking why is she doing this? What's in it for her? But this is just me being a cynical Brit. and I am gradually getting used to people being so generous!

4. Most apartments don't have hot water(apart from the electric shower). This was a bit of a shock, I kind of assumed that there would be. We have it seriously easy in the UK, things like dishwashers pretty much don't exist here. Washing dishes with cold water takes a lot more effort and my clothes are definitely beginning to feel grubbier each week! I have got used to it now and know that I will appreciate washing my face with warm water to look forward to when I return home!

5. At my gym you get a personal trainer!!! Sorry really not interesting, but I have always wanted one for some reason!! And my gym is not expensive. Whether this means I will come home weighing less, especially on the Brazilian diet is another matter, but it's definitely encouraging me to go more!

I have a very busy weekend ahead of me so better go and get ready! Out tonight, training for my new teaching job tomorrow morning, flatmates birthday party tomorrow night and then a day in the countryside playing tennis on Sunday! 



2 comments:

  1. Mummy says dont get used to the personal trainer....haha. All sounds AMAZING. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I won't! Can't wait to hear your news/see the pictures xxx

      Delete