Friday 30 August 2013

A day in Itu

On Sunday I spent my first day out of São Paulo since I arrived. My friend Gabi kindly invited me for the day to play tennis at her country house in Itu.

We took a quick pit stop in Starbucks and then headed onto the Marginal Tietê, the highway that goes through central São Paulo and out towards Campinas

After around an hour drive, we arrived at the paradise that was Itu. It was basically a Brazilian version of the OC neighbourhood, the houses were all immaculate and the streets were even named after fairytales, Gaby's house was on "Ugly Duckling street"!

We had quick tour of the house then headed for the tennis courts. I was really happy to find that most of them were clay; much slower surface so you don't need to run as much, important in 30 degree heat!
Scorching
Gabi's dad coached us for hours, I really needed it, I was so rusty, but he helped me so much and by the end I felt like everything was returning to normal.

When we finished Gaby's dad bought us a drink called Itubaína that is produced in Itu but has become famous throughout Brazil, it definitely gave us the energy boost we needed! We then drove to the restaurant for lunch,after so much exercise we were starving! I chose a well-deserved americano sandwich with chips, it was AMAZING, i'll definitely be ordering it again next time!
Itubaína
After lunch we went to visit Gabi's aunt. Her house was beautiful, literally like something out of a movie. Gabi told us that the footballer Ronaldo had just moved in to the house nextdoor! We sat on the patio and enjoyed the sunshine whilst eating strawberries with calda de leite condensado, yum!
Relaxing on the patio, exhausted...
Gabi's aunt's beautfiul dog, Bella
Paradise...
We then drove back to the tennis courts for an evening session where Gabi's dogs Jimmy and Chloe also joined us! Gabi's dad gave us more training, I was so grateful for the time he spent with us, he was such a great coach. Tennis is just one of the many sports he plays at the same time as being a very important state lawyer! His trophy collection was impressive!
The trophy collection
Jimmy the yorkie!
Sunset on the courts...
After playing through the sunset until it was pitch back, we went back to Gabby's for showers and drove home to São Paulo, of course making a compulsory stop at a service station for food, why are Brazil's SO much better than ours?!
We returned back to the traffic of São Paulo, which other city has traffic at 10pm on a Sunday evening?! I arrived home exhausted but very happy after what was definitely my favourite weekend so far. 
Traffic on a sunday night??!
This week I have been seriously busy, I started a new teaching job in the evenings which I am really enjoying and yesterday we had a staff "away day" which was really fun and ended, as most things do in Brazil, with a BBQ and Caipirinhas!

Lots to look forward to this weekend, drinks after work at the Consulate's English pub, a birthday party and possibly a day at the beach on Sunday...

Até mais!!!


4 comments:

  1. Helena, I'm following your blog, it sounds like you are having an amazing time!well done and make most of it! Magda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear someone's reading it! I will do, it's going so fast. Miss you X

      Delete
  2. just read everything and it sounds like you're having an incredible time! (is the other comment from mads pires!?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am, it's hard to not the people are so friendly! Haha, no, different Magda, that would be funny! When do you leave for France? xx

    ReplyDelete