Saturday 3 August 2013

Settling in...

So I have been in São Paulo for a week, although it feels a lot longer, and I can safely say that I am going to have an awesome five months. 

Last weekend I stayed at Maria Eugenia's house, who made my first weekend in Brazil so memorable. I experienced my first Brazilian birthday party which was honestly one of the best I've ever been to, even though I knew no one.

There was just an amazing atmosphere of everyone having a great time. Maria's boyfriend's band played lots Brazilian and English pop songs but all in Samba style, think Daft Punk's Get Lucky in Samba style, pretty cool! Brazilians are all such amazing dancers (OK maybe generalising a bit), they have such natural rhythm, I had prepared myself for this though, and although I blatantly stood out as the English girl it really didn't matter too much, especially after some help of a few caipirinhas! 




Maria Eugenia and Eugenia!(apologies for the shocking photography)
SO much food!

Disney princess theme, who cares that the girls were turning 25!

The birthday cake surrounded by empty Brigadeiro wrappers

After a lie-in and some pão de queijo (cheese bread, a Brazilian staple) we set off for a walk in Ibirapuera park. It is the biggest urban park in Latin America and on a Sunday it seemed like the whole of São Paulo was there. We stopped a long the way to watch a new trend in Brazi;tight rope acrobatics! People come to the park construct their tightrope between the trees, put on some good music and show off to everyone, it looked seriously difficult! 

Ibirapuera with São Paulo in the background (obviously not my photography!)

Tightrope acrobatics!
Great place for a rest...
The huge playground, a child's dream...
It was an amazing place to spend a lazy day people watching, I will definitely be going back soon...
After a farewell lunch it was time to say goodbye to Maria's family and move into my new apartment!

I am living with Paula, a Paulista(from SP)and Luiza a Carioca(From Rio)in the Vila Madalena neighbourhood of São Paulo. My room is the size of a shoe box, there is no hot water apart from the electric shower, my plug gives off sparks and I don't have anywhere to hang my clothes but I don't care! The apartment has the most amazing view, I am in the best area, I can walk to work and the girls I am living with are lovely.
A lot more "view pictures" to come to make you all jealous!
It's like this the whole way round, I wish my camera was more sophisticated!
My shoe-box room!
I am also definitely getting the true Brazilian experience, I have been offered Cachaça most nights, have spoken more Portuguese in a week than I have during the last 2 years of my degree and there are always people over! All in all, I am having a great time. Last night around 10 people came over for a Friday night celebration and didn't leave until 3:30! After a supper of Yaki Soba followed by chocolate brownie in mugs and more Brigadeiro we had an impromptu 3 hour sing-along, one of the Paula's friends was incredible on the guitar and could literally play anything! Not something I would usually necessarily enjoy but I am embracing it, São Paulo is having strange effects on me!! 

Anyway, I better go now as we are taking a trip to the furniture shop as I am being bought a new mattress which I am very much looking forward to! 

More to follow about the new job and observations of São Paulo in general...

No comments:

Post a Comment